Skip to main content

tv   Face the Nation  CBS  January 1, 2017 10:30am-11:30am EST

10:30 am
>> dickerson: today on "face the nation", on the first day of 2017, a look at america. >> on this new year's day we will explore the challenges facing our divided country, and what can be done to forge more unity in 20 speech. >> 2017. >> first a book panel with isabel wilkerson who wrote the warmth of other suns, j.d. vance, author of hillbilly elegy, actor diane guerrero, the author of in the country we love, and amani al-khatahtbeh, who wrote muslim girl, a coming of age. then a panel discussion with journalist michele norris of the race card project, jeffrey goldberg, editor of the atlantic, "washington post" columnist michael gerson and atlantic columnist david frum, all ahead "
10:31 am
good morning and welcome captioning sponsored by cbs to "face the nation". i am john dickerson. happy new year. we begin 2017 with a look ahead to what is in store for our nation .. we have gathered four authors who have written about the many faces of america about the differences that divide us as well as the common experiences that can unite us a, unite us, unite us as one, isabel wilkerson is the author of the warmth of other suns, a history of the great migration of african americans from the rural south to the industrial north in the 20th century, j.d. vance has written hillbilly elegy, a memoir of his upbringing in the rust belt heartland the part of the country that proved crucial to donald trump's electoral victory, diane guerrero is in the author in the country we love, memoir of her experience as a child of undocumented immigrants who were door deported when she was a teenager she is an actor you might reflect her from orange is the new black and has served
10:32 am
citizenship and naturalization and amani al-khatahtbeh is the author of muslim girl, a coming of age, muslim woman in the aftermath of 9/11 and the creator of the muslim girl and features other muslim millennials, thanks for sharing your heart of the american experience. j.d. vance i will start with you, you call yourself a hillbilly, what sat hillbilly? >> well, i think it is somebody with some attachment to the broad region of appalachia, whether they grew up there like my grandparents or the descendants of people who migrated from there and a pejorative in some way if it is used from the outside but mamaw always said if used by people inside the family that is over, my grandmother. >> dickerson: diane, you say you write in your book 0 deported long before i fully understood what that word meant i learned to dread it. >> yeah. it was a topic of conversation in my household every day and
10:33 am
knew i had to be prepared of the possibility of them being deported one day, so i lived my life that way. >> dickerson: and you write that you were nine years old after 9/11, amani, and obviously traumatic for the nation, what was it like for your family? >> well, i mean, that year was the same year i heard my first racial sure, so it was definitely very a huge turk point for my family, our house gotti peed and egg, the flea market where my dad worked launched petition to kick all of the muslims out and we moved to jordan for a short period of time, and i discovered in writing the book, my dad -- >> dickerson: and isabel, let me ask you, you write about the great migration. so much that was changed in america as a result of that, everything from jazz to the blues to the way the neighborhoods are
10:34 am
this line really stood out to me though, more than that this was the first big step the nation servant class ever took without asking. how does that start? how did this millions of people moving, why did it start? >> well, i think that first of all, migration is not really about migration it is about freedom and how far people are willing to go to achieve it which bind all of us the together as americans, but this great migration i have written about gives you a window into a caste system that existed in the south and actually radiates also throughout our culture and even into the north, and in that world it was actually against the law for a black person and a white person to play checkers together, you could d go to jai, it was against the law for african americans to pass a white motorist on the road. these are examples of the arcane nature of the caste system that we lived with even to this day, in
10:35 am
>> dickerson: amani you moved away because of islamophobia, and then the family came back, why? >> my family came back because my mom became ill in jordan so we took the family here, i think that experience opened my eyes to the stark contrast between the reality in the middle east, how things were on the ground as compared to how they are being misrepresented in western media. and upon my return, that was kind of my personal goal was, oh, my god i have to open the eyes to this, do something to create change in that way, and also when i returned from jordan i was the wearing a head scarf which was a huge difference for me because i noticed a major shift in the way people treated me, the way that my friends regarded me, and the way that total strangers would behave towards me in public. >> dickerson: you write about growing up in a family where you were always under this, because your parents were undocumented this kind of sense of fear
10:36 am
the word deported hanging over, what did the american dream look like from inside of that growing up period? >> a -- immigration reform, i always hoped my parents could find that so we could stay together and i always hoped we wouldn't be create separated, and we were of. >> dickerson: the american dream was basically just citizenship. >> yes, it was very simple, it was just staying together. sometimes it is as basic as that. >> dickerson: j.d., you say in the introduction to the book you write those of us lucky enough to live the american dream the demons of life continue to chase us, what does that mean? >> well for me it means you don't just all of a sudden get maybe money or nice credential and all of a sudden everything you learned, every habit you acquired, every familiar relationship you have goes away because both the people upward mobile brings you in contact soth, whether professors or new
10:37 am
who you moved away from in some ways, they continue to pull and push in different ways and say you always, so you always feel in some way i think like you left people that you loved the most behind but also you are not totally an insider in this new place you joined. >> dickerson: your history is always attached to you. >> yes, absolutely, you want it tto be attached to you es, thats the contradiction you don't want to leave that behind but also recognize the history makes you a little bit different to the people you are coming in contact with. >> dickerson: isabel does that sound familiar, the thousands of people you interviewed that feeling of having a history in one place but being, as you said, desperately anxious to get away from that place? >> absolutely, when these people left they went along beautifully predictable streams of migration which is what immigrants do throughout the world, they often, they had to plot, plan and strategize in order to leave, it was also often difficult and dangerous for them to leave the jim crow south because there were efforts to keep them there, because they served as the backbone of the economy, and they often were
10:38 am
faced with, with violence and arrest if they sought to board some of those northbound trains, so they were, when they left, they had to experience great dislocation and then try to find a way for themselves in these alien big cities of the north and midwest and many carried the same culture with them. >> dickerson: i was struggling, you talked about the american dream, you said by their actions they did not dream the american dream, they willed it into being, by a definition of their own choosing. this idea that the american dream is not something that is sort of on your drive but something you have to make yourself. >> that's a critical part of the line in the book, because this is the only group of americans that had to act like immigrants in order to be recognized as citizens, and their dreams and their goals and what they were leaving for and what they were hoping for are the same thing that many, any american who lived thon soil wanted and the goal we are facing right now is to seeou
10:39 am
and, you know, we talk a lot about diversity but i think we should talk more about commonality, i think we are very aware of the things that make us different, i don't think we realize enough what makes us the same and what makes us, our hearts beat the same and the things we want. >> i like that, thank you. >> dickerson: let's see if we can make a collection and, with these different experiences. >> i think w all want to be happy and i think that, you know, i don't think we should look at equality as a -- i think that is what we are all struggling for is to be equal, to be recognized as -- that we are all in this place together and going through the same things. i love my family. that's one thing. >> dickerson: family -- you have a line about family -- >> incredible f
10:40 am
and code and you talk about hillbilly justice and on the other hand, conflict within family. >> yes. absolutely. and what i think what really ties us together is something aspirational about being an american, whether a black american moving from the rural south or south america or from an islamic country, like whether it is our parents, our grandparents or even further back is this idea that we want something better for our kids than we have right now, and there is this sense, i think that is built into that whole idea of the pursuit of ppiness right, that we are going to keep getting better things, they are going to keep on improving and i think a lot of the problems we have in our politics are in some ways rooted in different groups thinking that things aren't continuing to get better, i think that guess sphism, pessimism and cynicism is a problem in our politics and society in yen. >> dickerson: is that what everybody signs up to, things can get better. there is skepticism of some groups in america the idea of hope in the next general
10:41 am
investigation a dream and idea that only a certain class or a certain kind of america can have. >> as long as we continue -- those that are underrepresented or marginalized in knees conversations, especially conversations on focus on them, that are usually neglected from, i think that that will allow us to just make those commonalities more apparent. i am so curious to know, if you grew up with any muslim friends, because they have so many pulls, a majority of americans have never met a muslim person or had a muslim friend before, a lot from the great appalachia region, those who vote odd ten next president on policies that he has been creating ground about -- so it is like, you know, for a lot of people, we just respect able to humanize each other. >> yes. that's a very important point, the question is no not until i went to college did i actually meet a muslim american, and to your point, part of sit just because we were so regionally isolated, there were three basically groups of people i saw growup
10:42 am
like me, the middle class white people and maybe the working class black people who lived in my city and that was pretty much it, and, you know, there is a lot of evidence when people actually spend time around people who are different from them, a lot of these biases and a lot of this frustration sort of fades away, and that is a problem with the fact that we are so isolated right now. >> there is a fear of losing something, instead of seeing this as an opportunity to gain so much by uniting, by seeing that if we all sort of, you know, kind of lived in a more balanced world it would be better fo for all of us, and noe is here to take anything away from you. >> dickerson: all right. we are going to pause right there. we are going to take a short break. we will be back in a minute with our panel. technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. it's the best thing that ever happened to me. every great why needs a great how.
10:43 am
whfight back fastts, with tums smoothies. it starts dissolving the instant it touches your tongue. and neutralizes stomach acid at the source. ♪ tum -tum -tum -tum smoothies! only from tums >> dickerson: and we are back with our panel of authors, amani i want to talk to you about this notion of stories, a balance of how much of the old world to hang on to and how much of the new do i embrac
10:44 am
experience? where you looked at your own family, they need to assimilate more? >> i don't think that i really looked at my family for a place -- for them to change, but of course growing up immediately after 9/11 through the height of islamophobia it caused a lot of discomfort for me as a child. i remember that summer, i was nine years old, the right after 9/11 happened, my dad had a store on the jersey shores, so we decided to go to the water park one day and my aunt, who was a muslim woman who is from jordan for the first time, she was in the united states and decided to come with me, and she comes on to the tallest water rafting slide in the entire park, fully clothed in her islamic outfit from head to toe, covered, all of the families of course predominantly white were just like staring at us and like sheer confusion and possibly horror, like what is going on here and i just remember in that moment wanting to
10:45 am
like i could not wait to rush down the slide and then run off the boardwalk and po too my dad and tell him oh, my god do you understand what my aunt put me through? but when i told my dad he looked back at me, like wow that was pretty cool of her, wasn't it, it took a lot of strength and guts. >> dickerson: j.d., you talked about feeling like a tourist at yale and now you go home and you feel like an outsider, so you are caught between it. >> yes. you know, sometimes i feel like an outsider at hopes and probably i feel more home there than at yale. i remember when i went home, it was actually the first time i introduced my now wife, but then girlfriend to my family. we were at a gas station in middletown and i had on a yale. tht-shirt and a woman at the pup next to mine said, oh, did you go to yale? my nephew goes there too, my son or something and i go, i like had this really intense moment of cultural conflict in my mind and i am thinking, well, if i ii confess to going to yale she will think i am an outsider and sort of maybe she will,
10:46 am
is from the yale side of divide she will judge me and say oh look at the simpleton from middleton ohio, of course that was stupid because i was in middleton ohio, i looked at her said no but my girlfriend does and i got in my car and drove away, i didn't want to admit to going to an ivy league school back home. >> if i went to yale i would say i had gone to yale. >> the focus on this show is that, we can tell -- >> you are in the mainstream now. let me ask you a question about hope, because you write in your book someone once said hope is the best medicine. in our family and community, in that attorney's office hope wasn't the finest redy it was the only one we knew. talk about hope. tell me, tell the story about that attorney that your father went to to try to get legal status, and what happened? >> so this attorney gave us a card and this person is helping people, they are helping who had
10:47 am
so we went to this attorney and my dad had high hopes and he was desperate at this point, and we gave him money, said he could help, and he stopped calling. and we went back in his, and his office was gone. >> wow. >> everything was gone, and that was the breaking point for my father and that was sort of the beginning of sort of the end of our family unit. and i was with him every step of the way and it was heartbreaking because we -- you know, it could have been a lack of education, it could have been hope was our last -- it was our last string of hope and we held onto it and really this would be the day, maybe this will be the time that things do go well for us, and it didn't happen, and so we just sort of -- everything sort of collapsed after that, but my parents always taught me to have hope and to dream and that is why i think i made
10:48 am
whatever happened to my family, and i think that is why i am a here sitting with you here because i held on to that to that humanity, to my dream, to that things are going to get better and if i do try really hard and if i participate and if i do my part then maybe something good can happen. >> dickerson: does that sound familiar, isabel, to the people -- migration leaving the south? obviously hope was part of leaving jim crow but also part is the hope and hoping things, of things unseen. >> yes, hope and desperation and a desire to be recognized as citizens in the country, that they had helped to build, african americans have been on the soil since 1619, longer than many, many people who are currently here, and yet when they migrated out to what they hoped would be freedom, they were met with tremendous hostility and resentment. there is a story out of chicago in which this family tried to find a home, make a home in a place called cicero, and w
10:49 am
that the people who were living in that neighborhood rushed the building and tore out all of the fixtures and threw out the panel, threw out the sofa, threw out even the faucet and sinks from the walls, and then after they did that, they burned the building, which meant that even the residents who had been, who were white were left homeless. this is what happened in the 20th century, and this happened within the last span 0, lifespan of people's today in the 1950's and that is what they were met with, and we still in this country live with the asterisk of that unresolved history, unresolved resentment, unresolved and misunderstanding of who we are and what we all want for ourselves. >> dickerson: you have all written books, about trying to get people to understand, something that they are not familiar with. that is
10:50 am
j.d., when you wrote your book, what was the reaction to that? >> by and large i thought the reaction has been pretty positive. one of the things i was worried about when i wrote the book, you know, there is this classic hillbilly stereotype, the sort of toothless guy playing the banjo from deliverance i really wanted to present a different image of what i thought my particular culture represented and that of course was most embodied by mamaw and folks have responded pretty positively to her, they think she is a hero or powerful woman. >> dickerson: that is grandmother. >> that's right, and that's how i feel about her, that's the reaction to her, that's my reaction, i think she is more representative of what is back home than what the stereotype is. >> amani what has your reaction been to people who reach out to you through -- and ask questions and do you find people seeking understanding? what is the, what has the reaction been? >> absolutely, i think that people are always
10:51 am
that my mom chooses not to wear a head scarf while i do or my dad who is a muslim father was very encouraging of me, trying to push me forward my entire life, things that clash with stereotypes or preconceived notions of how muslims really are, but mostly i think people have been surprised that things are really this bad for us, you know, especially, as for a woman, especially for a muslim woman who chooses to cover, one of the most visible religious minors advertise in the country, we are a lightning rod for a lot of the hateful rhetoric that is happening on a nationwide scale, my whole goal has been shown to how that rhetoric doesn't happen a in a vacuum, it trickles down and affects our livelihoods and life and death cry says for a lot of us. and that a is what a lot of people have a people grasping when they read the book. >> dickerson: how about you, a similar experience and what was the reaction to your book? you know, it was so surprising to me that people didn't really
10:52 am
understand, because i feel like immigration and immigrants are so embedded in this country's fabric, so -- i got some hateful stuff but i think for the most part i think people are really supportive and understanding and they don't believe that 11 million people should be deported or families should be separated and i think there is a minority that feel that way that feel the growing diversity or feel -- or fear maybe a path for citizenship or notions of people just rushing this country, but i don't think they understand what we really want is a path for citizenship for the people who are here and updated visa system, these are things that people didn't really understand but i think that we are starting to have more conversation. i know this year has been tough for a lot of people, like who are not really happen with 20 queen and it has been a, 2016 and it has been a tough year .. but i think it has opened up dialogue and i think for that we
10:53 am
just more than ever need to move forward and have these conversations. and seek happiness. >> dickerson: isabel, what has been the reaction to your book? >> one of the purposes of the work that i did was to reach the human heart, i really believe that the heart is the last frontier. i was actually at a -- i had a book event on long island and it was a rainy, miserable day, but plots of people would come out and at the end of the day, there was a signing line, at the front of the signing line was this -- diminutive grandmotherly figure, and her eyes had already been well with tears as she stood before me, she said if i start talking about the bookly cry for sure. she said, i can't talk about the book because the book is my story. you see, i am an immigrant from greece and this book is my story, and hearing that from her was confirmation to me that the mission of this work was accomplished in some way, meaning that someone had a completely different experience, could see herself in
10:54 am
many in our culture would say she had nothing in common with but she saw it, she felt it, and she was there standing before me sharing with me that these were the stories of her own experience. >> dickerson: thank you all for being here to help us share these stories and perhaps crosse some boundaries. we will be back in a moment. >> i took warfarin for over 15 years. until i learned more about once-daily xarelto®... a latest-generation blood thinner. then i made the switch. xarelto® significantly lowers the risk of stroke in people with afib not caused by a heart valve problem. it has similar effectiveness to warfarin. warfarin interferes with vitamin k and at least six blood-clotting factors. xarelto® is selective. targeting one critical factor of your body's natural clotting function. for people with afib currently well-managed on warfarin, there is limited information on how xarelto® and warfarin compare in reducing the risk of stroke. like all blood thinners,
10:55 am
without talking to your doctor, as this may increase your risk of a blood clot or stroke. while taking, you may bruise more easily, and it may take longer for bleeding to stop. xarelto® may increase your risk of bleeding if you take certain medicines. xarelto® can cause serious, and in rare cases, fatal bleeding. get help right away for unexpected bleeding, unusual bruising, or tingling. if you have had spinal anesthesia while on xarelto®, watch for back pain or any nerve or muscle-related signs or symptoms. do not take xarelto® if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. tell your doctor before all planned medical or dental procedures. before starting xarelto®, tell your doctor about any conditions, such as kidney, liver, or bleeding problems. to help protect yourself from a stroke, ask your doctor about xarelto®. insurance changes? xarelto® has you covered. with toothpaste or plain their dentures and even though their dentures look clean, in reality they're not. if a denture were to be put under a microscope, we can see all the bacteria that still exists on the denture, and that bacteria multiplies very rapidly. that's why dentists recommend
10:56 am
nt everyday. polident's unique micro clean formula works in just 3 minutes, killing 99.99% of odor causing bacteria. for a cleaner, fresher, brighter denture every day. >> dickerson: if you can't watch us lierks "face the nation" is now available on your phone. on cbs all access. as well as our website, plus we are available on video on demand on your cable system.
10:57 am
not to be focusingo finaon my moderatepe. to severe chronic plaque psoriasis. so i made a decision to talk to my dermatologist about humira. humira works inside my body to target and help block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to my symptoms. in clinical trials, most adults taking humira were clear or almost clear, and many saw 75% and even 90% clearance in just 4 months. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb.
10:58 am
where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ask about humira, the #1 prescribed biologic by dermatologists. clearer skin is possible. >> dickerson: some of our cbs stations are leaving us now, but for most of you we will be right back with a lot more "face the nation". stay with us. >>
10:59 am
11:00 am
>> dickerson: welcome back to "face the nation". i am john dickerson, we continue with our look at america with a group of familiar faces to our "face the nation" viewers. journalist michele norris heads up the race card project and works with the aspen institute, jeffrey goldberg is the editor in chief of the atlantic. michael gerson is a column must for the "washington post" and david frum is a senior editor at the atlantic. jeffreyly start a with you, and i want all of you to 0 take this assignment, i will start a with you because it is your job. >> what did i do i don' wrong? >> in the new year, if you want to target -- i will target you with this question, you are an assignment editor and you have to assign coverage for the year 2017, how do you deploy your forces? what is the story? >> well, the story is there there is one overarchingly huge story, the
11:01 am
is the upending of american politics, the story is of the outs coming in and the ins going out. the story is trying to explain to the american people what happened to their two main parties, and the deeper story also, i don't want to forget this, the deeper story is globalization and technological disruption and anxiety born of rapid change, rapid destabilizing change, the fragility of institutions, all of that is there undergirding the larger, more immediate story which is how did donald trump become president of the united states, and what does it mean for not only the way america understands itself but the way the world understands america. i mean, i would just add one more point which is that the rest of the world is watching with waited -- baited breath, because we are at a hinge moment in history,
11:02 am
a certain role in the world, and it is not entirely clear that after january 20th we are going to play that same role. >> dickerson: we should make you an editor what do you think -- >> it is interesting at the end of the year merriam-webster told us they chose the world surreal as the year of, world of the year for, word of the year for 2016 because it describes so much of what we are seeing right now, i want to pick up on one thing jeffrey said about the technological disruption, in this country we assumed technology was a good thing and embraced it and assumed it was propelling us forward and it would perhaps even though it was displacing jobs it would make for a better society, a better flow of information, i think we are going to start really question that now on a lot of levels, because of what it has done to democracy, because certainly what it has done to the level of american discourse and as journalists we have to learn how to operate in a world where there is no longer a common set of facts. people get their news
11:03 am
way that it usually affirms or confirms everything that they already believe. we have someone who is about to occupy the oval office who is dismissing many of the publications that we work on have worked for, and is trying to bypass us and go directly to people so as we try to explain this surreal universe we find ourselves in almost a room of sun house mirrors, fun house mirrors trying to describe what is going on. >> stephen. >> the flash assist party won the presidency of france this year, the democratic institutions in the country liberated in 1989 are falling apart in hungary and poe seven other applications other places, the soviet union is cracking apart and the united states has a new president to be who has made it clear he is not going to be bound by traditional rules against corruption, traditional rules against born influence and traditional rules in in way, of the president having his own private body guard paid for by
11:04 am
>> we are seeing changes we haven't seen since world wars. it is a world of american nonexceptionallism because what is going on in the united states is happening elsewhere and a story about globalization coming home because, americans are used to, as the world's strongest power being the country that influences others, the idea that a foreign power has reached into the united states and tampered with american democracy and maybe chose for americans the president the larger number of americans didn't want for themselves. >> dickerson: russia in this case. >> that's an experience other countries, weaker countries, smaller countries have had, americans, since the greatness of this country have arrived have never had to worry about that, that has happened. so it is going to be a very difficult year, a year, it is difficult because of both what is happening and because it is not in our nature to think about it. one more thing. i have the experience again and again and many of you may have it too, being in a coffee shop and on
11:05 am
come up to me and say hello and tell me that everything is going to be okay. and what i realize is, i can't give you the assurance you want i am not sure that everything is going to be okay, but here is what i do know. the only way that things will be okay is if we all understand how not okay they are, if we are sufficiently inflamed, we may be able to put the fire out. >> dickerson: michael. >> well, i think there is a pretty much even chance that we are going to have a constitutional crisis or have a completely incompetent presidency, who doesn't know how to exercise power, which i think is another possibility in this circumstance. we have a white house, donald trump has a white house with almost no skill of governing, we have achieve of staff who has never been in government, which is absolutely extraordinary. he has elevated people, generals and corporate heads that have more experience in this extraordinary complex business of how you put t
11:06 am
administration, run a bureaucracy, produce ideas. so i think there is a deep concern about the possibility of overreach, but i think we should also be concerned about the possibility of an entirely ineffective government that doesn't value governing experience, that doesn't value what governments should do and what it can do under the right circumstances. >> this side of the table is very depressing, don't you have any hope at all that america is somehow resilient, institutions will overcome whatever temporary challenges? sorry, i just -- i am struck by -- >> dickerson: if the idea is that the structures of democracy -- where do you think -- >> i fully agree with michele that technology and social media, these are posing new challenges, in ways to communicate to each other and the way we organize democracy but we have been in business a long time, this country, and we have survived worse things than whatever we are facing at the moment. i am
11:07 am
alive, i don't know what the feeling is. i am hopeful that americans will rise to this challenge. i think the message they do not need to hear is don't worry, your grandparents rose to the challenge, therefore you can stay on the couch. because -- you can tell them that. there are past examples of bravery and fortitude and democracy -- >> your grandparents survived this if you will to if you engage -- >> take a measure of the threat to democratic institutions in this country and around the world, and i don't think we do people a service by saying, you know, there have been bad things in the american past before that, there have been, this is our bad thing, and it is as bad a thing as happened in any of our lifetimes. i concerns me, we have this entire new set of economic and social circumstances that the normal reaction would be to propose politics of the future, how do we adjust and prepare people for the new economy, give them the skills and social pathways they need to succeed in an
11:08 am
you look at the message of make america great again and that is a backward looking message, that was kind of returning to social parts, economic -- you know, approaches of the past. we can't undo globalization. that's not possible. and then you look at hillary clinton, this last elect, she had a very backward looking election at all, it was not the forward looking, prepare america for opportunity, address the deepest problems of our country so we have two parties that in our last political experience are not addressing the future but talking about nostalgia. >> and not addressing reality also. first make america great again there is one word if you are a person of color that you sort of stumble over and it is the word again, because you are talking about going back to a time that was not very comfortable for people of color. they did not have opportunities, they were relegated to the back of the line, and
11:09 am
country that, you know, to be honest was built on the promise of white process enter at this, about everything else, and for a lot of people when they hear that message, make america great again, deeply encoded in that message is a return to a time where white americans could assume a certain amount of prosperity -- >> for, true of gay people and women who want a part possess society, it is a large group of people who are not -- don't like nostalgia in that sense. >> dickerson: michele, did you, since the race card project you look a lot about the conversation of race in all of hits he different forms in america. did you, when you saw the racial aspects of this campaign say that is what i have been hearing and has been bubbling under the surface for the last four years or six years or -- >> more particularly in the last two years. i don't want to say that i told you so but i was not as surprised by donald trump's victory because i saw a lot of the sentiments coming in over the transom, a lot
11:10 am
country for a lot of reasons, some of it is, you know, racial fragility and not necessarily feeling like their feet touch the floor, they are not at the front of the line but also technological disruption, even though the economy, things in the economy suggest we are doing fine, people don't necessarily feel it and donald trump was able to tap into a message where people felt a lot of discomfort and that again is somewhat retro grade and fear is not a brand in america, and that is so much some of the bright vein that ran -- >> the reason these things are happening, not just here but everywhere else, we had a period of quite slow growth since the year 2000 for most people and at the same time we had convulsive levels of migration, migration is one of those policies that outside of, is outside of what it is, whether we want it or whether the economic economy is good or bad, when jobs are looking for, workers are looking
11:11 am
destabilizing to people and europe is connected to extraordinary physical insecurity, these levels of violence and disorder that are connected to the immigration, and so it is not -- that is also not surprising. >> dickerson: let me take a pause there and we will be back with more from our panel. the worst thing about toilet germs? they don't stay in the toilet. disinfect your bathroom with lysol bathroom trigger... ...lysol power foamer... ...and lysol toilet bowl cleaner. they kill 99.9% of germs including e. coli. to clean and disinfect in and out of the toilet...
11:12 am
pain from a headache whecan make this...d, feel like this. all-in-one cold symptom relief from tylenol®, the #1 doctor recommended pain relief brand. tylenol® when you have a cold, pain from chest congestion can make this... feel like this. all-in-one cold symptom relief from tylenol®, the #1 doctor recommended pain relief brand. tylenol® >> dickerson: and we are back with our panel, david, i want to ask you, barack obama has been saying to democrats who are nervous about donald trump, the
11:13 am
said the white house will democrat donald trump from doing all of the things he promised to do in the campaign. do you buy that a theory of the presidency? >> no, not at all, i am not sure that barack obama would really buy it, i think it is just a thing an outgoing president says, especially to a party that feels maybe that outgoing president didn't do all he could have or should have done to assure the preservation of his own legacy. the power of the presidency is the, more powerful than it used to be and especially powerful when it is joined to a congress of the same party. and congress that is full of people of members of donald trump that made a bargain, there are things they want badly to do. they look to this president to sign those things. and he has made it clear, the republican congress cares about most, he will do, and all he asks in return is that they leave him alone to do the things he cares about most. so we are going to have an agenda from congress that is pretty unpopular in all of the country, that is able to to be passed
11:14 am
president is there by accident to sign it, they are dependent on him, they know -- they have a highly individualistic agenda, i believe, and focused mostly on self enrichment and self protection against investigation of the extent of foreign involvement in his election. >> dickerson: i will attach myself to david's negativity in this case. the presidency is a very powerful office, and what we have seen in the runup to inauguration is that the man has the power just through his use of twitter to destabilize among other things the most important bilateral relationship between two countries in the world, the china-u.s. relationship, so his ability to create chaos is really quite remarkable, and one can say, yes, when you are really frightened, when the intelligence people come in and say you can't do that or this war is going to break out, well then a lot of presidents get
11:15 am
constrained, be new is a guy who won't take this in the briefing, that is problematic. he also has the power to identify, hey, you union president and small-town america, you, everybody on twitter hate him and bring him death threats, and that is one -- >> you know,, the grand bargain that he has ideological struck with republicans because you may start to hear the phrase country first and if people are really concerned about democracy, if more people are going to think about what is -- >> -- in his direction, she have moved in his direction t problem is not just chaotic management theory but it is kind of a weird cycle he will stay on message for seven days and then all of a sudden 3:00 in the morning he reads info wars and, you know, sends out a tweet and everybody else will go to the family and say can you get back on the -- >> and there is another crisis, in a process like this, the presidency can't work that way. you can tank markets, you
11:16 am
invite -- you can do a variety of things and the manner in which he both manages and his lack of control, impulse control, when it comes to his own message, i don't know how that works in the presidency, it is going to be fascinating. >> the president, he may not challenge but his responsibilities will change, and so you have someone who obviously has a certain amount of inimpulse control walking into an office that has great physical and mental demands and it will be interesting to see how the office, perhaps doesn't constrain him in terms of power but just the reality of doing that job, which is a full-time job that never, ever lets up. >> i will give you an example we all should be very frightened of and this may be the single most dangerous thing for world peace. it is very bad when a president president obama draws a red line and it is not there, that is humiliating and leads people to misunderstand, what is more dangerous says the red line isn't there and it really is, trump is every day signaling that red lines aren't there but
11:17 am
nato doesn't matter. >> meaning america has withdrawn. >> but he is wrong about that. that there are -- >> there is an american armor brigade taking a position in poland, there are nato nuke, nuclear capable armies in estonia and there is a nuclear nato powers -- in latvia and literature jane with a, a big buildup in bulgaria, you give the ussr the united states is not serious -- saddam hussein is signaling it would be okay to invade kuwait and take it as their own, there were mistaken signals get and we know what the reaction was, so there is precedent in the presidency for this to happen. >> you know, john, you asked jeff assignment editor what would he be looking for? where is he positioning people now? the questions that were not, we are not asking, what are the big questions. i think is our military and its capability and its equipment right now, much more hawkish
11:18 am
administration, because of the conflicts you are talking about, because of the things we don't fully understand, one of the questions i have is what is our military foo footprint looking , are we looking at the return of a draft that might include females, you know, these are the big questions i think that need to be considered as we go into 20scweech. >> dickerson:. >> 2017. >> dickerson: less talk about the constraints the congress could put on donald trump. there were no constraints that a party could put on this this nominee so donald trump, it is now donald trump's party, but in congress, there are, paul ryan is one example, david makes the good point that paul ryan is getting a lot of what he wanted and try to stick to his lane and not -- and let donald trump try to exist over here. is that the way you see it in terms of the relationship between donald trump and the republican congressional leaders? >> drawing a venue diagram there is a, there is a ven diagram in which they both agree, and maybe tax fo
11:19 am
certainly environmental policy or other areas .. so those sort of things will get done. he has control and the congress will support him in those things. you know, on items where they do not share that agenda, you know, i don't know. the president has a tremendous ability to set the priorities, the national priorities. and the problem here is, you know, i think he is signaling an agenda, tax cuts, massive infrastructure, defense increases, balanced punishment that are completely inconsistent, there is no budget you can put together that actually includes all of the priorities that he has talked about. they don't know how to put together a budget. that is going to be a fascinating initial a test of whether he actually has a realistic punishment -- >> and if he is a competent -- >> it is interesting if he can lead on that or
11:20 am
by the reality of governing in a way that may empower the congressional wing of the party. >> dickerson: michele, do you see in response, you know, to big forces, there are often big opposite reaction forces. we saw it in barack obama's election, that the birther movement in donald trump being the leading proponent of the idea that barack obama was not born in the united states. do you see that kind of shock reaction in a way that becomes normalized or tries to match donald trump in the power and success that he had with his tactics? >> it would probably come from the democrats and one of the challenges there is the democratic party is very complex and it is a party of, it is truly a big tent party so it is really unclear exactly how that will happen. right now because the democratic party also seems to be doing a little bit of introspection and, you know, we are still sort of adjudicating what happened in november of 2016 and not in
11:21 am
necessarily looking forward to what will happen i think we will see that and some might possibly not just come from the democrats but republicans, donald trump made a lot of promises that will be very difficult to deliver happened the people that he pumped up at all of these rallies during his campaign and now he is just completing his victory tour, people have great expectations and, you know, when you ask people to pick up their pitchforks and march behind you the pitchforks might be aimed as you in the end. >> donald trump doesn't know how to dominate a the bully pulpit, one of his goals in 2016 will be to drive people on the left to do self-destructive things that will damage them and empower him. >> if that works, we will have no center right party and no central left party in america, it will be the institutionalization of -- >> the assumption david is making is that the democrats, the left will have the discipline to respond to
11:22 am
>> this is no possibility this party that has no senior leadership at the moment, that has no plausible candidate to run against donald trump in four years, it has a bunch of semi -- >> -- it goes beyond leadership. there are the nancy pelosis and uall of the 18ing democratic office holders but there will be this frenzy of activity, occupy wall street but for real and -- in the street and the question is will they do -- >> and there will be a crackdown. >> smart things or foolish things and march with mexican flags or american flags and defend not an ideological way but defend american institutions that will be a test of discipline. >> american institutions, you know, when we are talking about -- you have to remember that people have a right to protest and defending american institutions is actually challenging them. anybody defending -- he shouldn't have his own private band of body guards. >> the president shouldn't expect bribes what i
11:23 am
defending american institutions he should allow us to see his tax returns, and weak checks on corruption which is unfortunately something which has always been true in the united states, how it polices itself, i don' i don't mean -- t telling people to be quiet but to understand the nature of this threat they face and it is not because to have a conservative appointment taos the supreme court, if i was a liberal or democrat which i am not i hope i would have the discipline you know what, the republicans they won the election and get to have the supreme court appointees they don't get to have however the private presidential body guards that is not okay. >> dickerson: okay. we will have to end it there. thanks for all of you for joining us and happy 2017 to you, what you have said today notwithstanding. we will be right back in a moment. >>
11:24 am
anything with a screen is a tv. stream 130 live channels. plus 40,000 on demand tv shows and movies, all on the go. you can even download from your x1 dvr and watch it offline. only xfinity gives you more to stream to any screen. download the xfinity tv app today.
11:25 am
>> dickerson: that's it for us today. thanks for watching on this new year's day, 2017, until next week for "face the nation", i ai john dickerson. >> one pill fights congestion for 12 hours. no thank you very much, she's gonna stick
11:26 am
guess i won't be seeing you for a while. is that a bisque? i just lost my appetite. why take medicines that only last 4 hours, when just one mucinex lasts 12 hours? start the relief. ditch the misery. let's end this.
11:27 am
11:28 am
captioning sponsored by cbs captioned by media access group at wgbh
11:29 am
11:30 am
landover, maryland, the big question today is can the redskins kick off a new year with a win and in essence a new season and the playoffs. fedex field, that place should be rockin' later on this afternoon. the new york giants are in town, kicks off at 4:25 in landover, temperatures in the upper 40s come kickoff time. welcome inside "game


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on